Kenwood has released the TH-D74 D-Star handheld today. The programming Software will be available on the Kenwood.jp website as its initial release.
I had a chance to talk to Don Arnold W6GPS who is at the Huntsville Hamfest assisting Kenwood with their North American launch now that the Japanese got the first release and I was not surprised how great the audio on the radio was on D-Star. I am contact number 7 on this new radio. Maybe I should ask for a QSL card???
Here are some features that got overlooked that make this hand held a very interesting one:
- Bluetooth enabled KISS TNC for Packet
Receiver and Transmitter EQ settings
Bar antenna for reception below 10Mhz
- IF output @ 12Khz with a bandwidth of 15 khz through the USB port – SDR in here?
CW Filter of 03Khz and a SSB filter of 2.3Khz
AM Filter of 7Khz
- Wideband receive up to 525Mhz
- APRS and GPS
Pricing will be around $700 to $900 US…..it should be firmed up in a few days if not announced at the Huntsville Hamfest.
This radio will be a category killer…….and as usual there is a pop up D-Star repeater just for the Ham Fair Event
Hamufea during the session of 2016 to let us know so that we set up a temporary D-STAR repeater station (Internet connection) to the Tokyo Big Sight in the venue. Please use.
- Call sign: JP1YJJ (planned)
- Frequency: 439.07MHz (DV), 439.25MHz (DV), 1291.31MHz (DV), 1270.625MHz (DD)
- Local IP: 10.0.0.25
- Operational period: within Hamufea period of August 20, 21 days (August 19, is expected to carry out a pilot with the installation)